Friday 31 May 2013

Something for the weekend ...free online courses

In the constant endless attempt to get a job , or trying to make money, of course just now and then, though I feel not as much as I used to, I manage to be current, and prick up my eyes and ears from the computer screen at something on TV which catches my attention. This week it was mention on TV of The Khan Academy  when its founder Salman Khan was interviewed, about how and why he created the remarkable Khan Academy, a carefully structured series of educational videos offering complete curricula in math and, now, other subjects..

Now, I remember when at school in the 70's a room full of booths and tape recorder type machines with earphones called The Language Lab  , where I had french lessons was like something out of Star Trek...as for inter active whiteboards and video classes....well....

However, I am certainly not saying I am against such methods of learning. Children learn differently today and are raised in a visual world, as long as they know their tables and why 2x2=4 without a visual screen to tell them, then I think anything that makes children more likely to want to learn can only be good. Much as I love my books, the touch and feel of a much loved book in my hands, the autographed copy of my one time Iraqi  childhood friends story since we last met..Talking About Jane Austen In Baghdad.
 

The classics of English Literature which my much loved Sunday school teacher Grace gave to me on my 21st birthday, saying wisely 'It is in books that I would wish you to remember me on your 21st birthday' nobody is as much of a fan of the Kindle Ereader as I am . I cannot afford to buy one, but I use the free  Kindle reader on my PC and catch up with those ..so many free classics I didn't get the chance or time to read and loads of free books I wouldn't normally think to read.. Some children need much more encouragement to read than perhaps we did years ago when I was first reading in the 60's. There was something secret and adventurous about thinking my mum didn't know I was reading Enid Blyton St. Clare's  and Malory Towers
under the blankets and quilt  (remember those ??} with a torch. .
Reading encouraged healthy competition too,...I always wanted to  be the one who had read as many Enid Blyton books if not more than Susan, Barbara, Maxine, Gillian etc etc....
Children and indeed young adults do read and learn differently and if the lure of wanting a Kindle or some other tablet encourages reading, it can only be good.

Any means to making education more accessible for adults as well as children is vital. I was so reminded of this, at the job centre recently when I really felt for an Indian lady who was having her signing. She was clearly doing what she could to make herself more employable, she was going to English lessons at a local college. When she mentioned this to the adviser, his ears immediately pricked up and he was on to her., wanting to know how many days and hours she was at college.  I know enough about the jobcentre rules to recognise that he was trying to see if she could be considered unable to be meeting her Job seekers agreement to look for work., because she was studying...even though she was studying English to help her get a job !!!!.I wish I knew what happened to her, she was told that next time she went to sign on she was to take her learning agreement from college to show how long she spent there...

Some time ago on the blog I published a series of posts about free online courses 
and perhaps it is time for taking a fresh look at what is out there and available.....especially with not just the UK Job centres giving people trying to study to improve their job prospects a hard time,  but also that funding for people to retrain and do courses at adult education level. is much reduced from what it was

For starters..Vision2learn  offers free online level2 courses in :
I have taken the Equality and Diversity course and can highly recommend this system of learning.

 Another online resource gaining in recognition and that I hear more and more about  is Alison....huge range of courses and known to be some of the best online learning on the web

BBC Learning seems to have cut its budget in this area, unless I cannot find the new link. There is a page which the BBC states is no longer updated, but some of the links to online courses still work and appear to be useful ..

Learn Direct is not always free ...course fees depend on what level of qualifications, in any subject, not necessary related to what you already have, ie...if you already have a level 2 qualification in any subject you may not get a free course in another ..but it seems to vary so is worth a look,

Lastly...and one of the very best resources is Open Learn .from the Open University, a good taster and introduction if you think of going on to Open University degree study.As it happens and a little off track but very interesting this site has a link at the moment to Owen Jones on the language of poverty, the demonisation of the working classes and the strivers versus skivers debate...don't miss it !!! Also OU on the BBC: Living with Poverty


No comments:

Post a Comment