Wednesday 29 May 2013

Tales from the Job centre


photo credit: gradders52 via photopin cc

Had I not already known from the media that unemployment figures are up, I might have guessed when on my last visit to sign on, I was told that next time I came I would be seeing a different adviser as the one I was seeing that day was already full up for the day of my next signing in two weeks time.  In an earlier post I wrote of how claimants on the work programme are now in effect being monitored  twice to be sure that they are applying for jobs. It used to be that those on the work programme only went to the jobcentre to hand in their job search sheet, but did not have to see an adviser, this is no longer so. However, in my case, and I suspect many others, in fact I am still only being seen once since I never hear or see anything of the work programme, suggesting that where I am concerned, and many others, the work programme isn't working.


So, I now have to sign on at the jobcentre each week and keep a job search book, familiar to most Job seeker allowance claimants. before being put on the work programme, I had...eventually, been allocated to a disability employment adviser, known as a  DLA. This should have happened far earlier than the nine months it took, considering that I have sight, mobility and heart and blood pressure problems, but like so many in my situation and with far worse effects of health problems am being made to look for a job. However, DLA's themselves are telling claimants that they are angry about how long it is taking before they see disabled claimants forced to claim Job seekers allowance. .

At my local Jobcentre, all general advisers and signings are upstairs, a steep and not well lit staircase, that I find it harder to come down even than I do to go up. . Disability employment advisers, on the other hand are downstairs...but everything is done to prevent people with disabilities who have been declared fit for work from seeing one...perhaps because in fact once the Department of Work And Pensions declares you fit for work, miracles happen....you are now fit and well and there is nothing wrong with you !!..heart conditions, mobility limitations, even cancer..they are all cured by ATOS and the Department of Work And Pensions.

There are no equal opportunities for people with mobility limitations...the lift is really only for staff and when the Jobcentre was first opened all advisers and signing on was downstairs. Now, even very sick and disabled claimants are expected to go upstairs and if they can't use the stairs a member of staff has to be made available  to open and close the lift, as it is beyond the normal access to the public and needs a security pass. Because I do not look disabled, my request for the lift to be available does not go down well at all.

Since being made to sign on again instead of just handing over my job search record at the door, I have not seen a DLA, and no record that I ever did so seems to be recognised or even in existence. Today, I discussed with the adviser I saw that I felt I should be seeing a DLA...downstairs. I was amazed when it was suggested to me ...kindly I will add, and this was from an adviser I have known and trusted for a long time, that it might be a good idea to hang on for the moment...'While I am only having to go to sign on once a fortnight !!! I asked curiously, ' Are there more changes coming then, do some people have to come more often ? 'Oh yes !!! replied the adviser, 'some people have to come every week, even twice a week, once to see an adviser and another day to do job searches, implying that at some future date, in the not too distant future, this will be happening for me....

I then mentioned the case of the double lung and heart transplant patient who  passed away a week after her benefits were stopped...

The adviser told me that they had a similar case amongst their own claimants...I found it very moving and disturbing that a very similar scenario had happened to someone who signed on at my own local jobcentre. This is not something that happens rarely to other unknown people in the newspaper....the adviser admitted ' We don't agree with it but we  work here, and the policies and decisions are made by the department of Work and pensions and we have to do as we are told.....

....I wonder what would happen .....if all of them refused to send more people to their deaths .....



photo credit: xJason.Rogersx via photopin cc

No comments:

Post a Comment