Sunday 12 May 2013

Lazy Sunday Afternoon....Job hunting over 50?: Feeling your age ?? Judith Durham talks about age



Lazy Sunday Afternoon


Job hunting over 50?: Feeling your age ?? Judith Durham talks about age: The wonderful and very inspirational Judith Durham, pianist, jazz singer .... one time front singer with the Seekers , then a solo career and  still  singing at 69 while coping with a lung condition, a legacy  of childhood measles....speaks about age.....saying that she always tells people her age !!..

Some of my blog readers may recall that this link is to an earlier posting in the early days of the blog when I featured Judith Durham of the sixties group The Seekers .Judith has enjoyed a very successful solo career but the group reform quite regularly such as for the 25th anniversary...they are now celebrating 50 years as a group still with their original line up. Currently on tour in their homeland Australia, they will be in the UK between September and October...

 OMG!!! I really almost died, because my heart stopped beating. They are really coming to Europe???

 Oh My,
Maybe there is hope they would do a few cities in the US.







Judith has a fantastic Facebook page and has just posted a lovely message for her fans...have a read ....

 https://www.facebook.com/judithdurhamofficial?ref=stream&hc_location=stream

And lets not leave out the guys too... https://www.facebook.com/TheSeekersOfficial?fref=ts




The lengths fans will go to !!!

The 11 May concert at Newcastle was incredible. I had to keep pinching myself to make sure I was not dreaming. Totally worth flying halfway around the world to see.
I am from Seattle and it was totally worth flying down to see them perform. Judith was fabulous. Still has that incredible voice. I am thinking I will attend one of the Melbourne concerts before flying back stateside.


 I will be attending the concerts on the 22nd and 23rd in Melbourne, the focal point of my first journey to Australia. To say that I am excited is quite an understatement!
Best wishes to all!
USA



...and the second half was even better with a stomping trio version of Louisiana Man, and a stunning solo by Keith on Guarding angel guiding light. The concert mixed performance with big screen video from the past




Last night's Seekers concert was a true delight.

The venue, the Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre, has a maximum seating capacity of 4000 and give or take a seat, last night's show was sold to capacity.


The show opened with a video montage of clips set to In My Life (which wasn't sung live in the show).  Their opening song was my absolute favourite, Come The Day and that was backed up in very quick succession with World of our Own and I'll Never Find Another You.  There was a beautiful version of When the Stars Begin to Fall and the Water is Wide.  Silver Threads & Golden Needles was done deliciously.  The end of the first act came with a rousing rendition of I Am Australian (plus a reprise) which drove the audience wild.



Judith lifted the roof with a stirring rendition of Olive Tree and Keith took us to the stars and back with a solo version of Guardian Angel/Guiding Light.  You're My Spirit got a look-in, as did Someday Oneday, Walk With Me, Colours of My Life and When Will the Good Apples Fall.  Red Rubber Ball was there, as well as Keep a Dream in Your Pocket, Georgy Girl and Carnival is Over.  Love is Kind, Love is Wine and Myra were performed as well.









The Seekers were absolutely inspirational.  Without wishing to sound ageist I hope, when I'm a septuagenarian, that I have the sort of energy and vitality that we saw last night.  Their voices were clear and crisp, they reached their notes and made us all feel so joyous and happy. 

If you are going along, you'll love the night.  If you are thinking of going, but haven't made up your mind, do not delay. 


 The Seekers UK Tour Dates are as follows

Mon September 16th 2013 - Gateshead, Sage
Wed September 18th 2013 - Royal Concert Hall, Glasgow
Fri September 20th 2013 - Bridgewater Hall, Manchester
Mon September 23rd 2013 - Philharmonic Hall, Liverpool
Wed September 25th 2013 - Royal Centre, Nottingham
Fri September 27th 2013 - BIC, Bournemouth
Sun September 29th 2013 - Royal Albert Hall, London
Tue October 1st 2013 - Centre, Brighton
Fri October 4th 2013 - Symphony Hall, Birmingham
Sun October 6th 2013 - St Davids Hall, Cardiff
Tue October 8th 2013 - Waterfront, Belfast

 http://www.stereoboard.com/the-seekers-tickets

It's intermission in Brisbane and let me tell you folks, this is a superb show. The Seekers are in brilliant voice


I've just had a look at Judith's revamped website. What a great showcase for her!

Judith does indeed have a new website..in fact it had so many hits it was down for a few days as it run out of bandwidth !!!..Take a tour if its open !! http://judithdurham.com/




Dear Valerie,
Judith thanks you so much for everything you have done to draw attention to her career.  It means a lot to her and she admires your attitude of getting up there and really doing something.  Congratulations!  She sends you her love.
With kind regards,
Michele Morris
for Judith Durham

www.judithdurham.com


Dear Judith, I hardly expect you to remember when you are so busy but I was so touched and grateful when you were so encouraging about my blog for helping people like myself ( and you ) who are older and with disabilities and health problems but who are adapting their careers and still working or indeed like so many since the cuts to welfare in the UK having to look for work..I featured you on my blog !! My friends were amazed when having had to put off the chance to see you at every opportunity over the years due to finances, a very difficult marriage etc etc...I announced that I was going and had booked the best and cheapest ticket I could find ..in Brighton !!! I like so many others always felt as a child and growing up that Georgy Girl was me from the days when I was a dowdy over protected girl with an artificial eye having lost an eye to cancer as a small child...it reminded me of all I could be...the past years have been clouded with the effects of domestic violence and going to Brighton to see you all will be the first time I have been there since the day after my wedding when I already knew I had made the biggest mistake of my life...once again your music will be healing and inspiration...I like so many others am a real life Georgy Girl. ..though these days I also lay claim to Red Rubber ball !!! Take care, have a wonderful tour and thank you so so much for deciding to make the journey to the UK...see you in Brighton !! Valerie





No comments:

Post a Comment