Saturday 15 June 2013

Tales from the Job Centre 2


Well, the blog has been quiet again this week and my regular readers may quite possibly be recognising a familiar pattern.That of the panic that sets in as Job centre signing day nears and my blood pressure rises. Some are not aware when they have high blood pressure and it is up, others are, and I am in the latter category..

Like thousands in the same position as myself, I have high blood pressure, a heart condition, sight limitations, arthritis and other bone conditions and mobility issues, but am considered fit for work by the Job centre. Since I can type and write as I do, I don't in theory object to trying to find some work I can do, but the problem is indeed trying to find a job that I might physically be able to cope with, in a building where I can manage the layout, and preferably a job that doesn't mind my being housebound in icy weather and unable to get out to go to work. As for writing or any other possible means of becoming self employed and working from home, its a very slow process before you even begin to have a living wage from it. The Job Centre refuse to entertain my requests for help to become self employed, seeing it as a means to avoid looking for a job and fulfilling my Job Seekers agreement that I look for work. One adviser, and she was a disability adviser even told me 'You have been declared fit for work and you have to do as you are told !!!' I reminded her that actually I haven't been found fit for anything since the Job centre won't even sanction my applying for ESA, the successor to Incapacity benefit and say that if I do apply I will be refused and put back on JSA....she looked blank and didn't reply.

When I have pointed out to the Job centre that there is supposed to be help for people who want to become self employed, they have promised me that they would look into it and tell me at my next signing, and when my next signing comes, I am passed to another adviser who of course knows nothing about it. Eventually I was told, 'We have to say there is help and money available because we say so in our literature, but the money is in the hands of private providers, and they don't want to pay it out.....so......

I have to do as I am told and apply for jobs. My email job search in box is full of automatic replies acknowledging that my application has been received, and that if they wish to pursue my application someone will be in touch, also many messages saying that they have loads of responses to job ads just now and if I have not heard within seven days then they are sorry but I have not been successful on this occasion. Then come the messages thanking me for my application but saying they are sorry I have not been successful ...on this occasion.... and they would like to keep my application on file. Even one of the job centre advisers whose job it is to bully me into applying for jobs and cutting off my Job seekers allowance if I don't , repeats the phrases as I tell him.

So, as every other Wednesday gets closer, the blog articles get fewer while I am going through the job application responses and filling in my job search record book, out of my mind with fear that it won't be enough and I will be sanctioned and get no money or forced onto a workfare programme that physically I cannot manage....and every now and then I have an interview....

This Wednesday there I was at the jobcentre and my name was called, not by the adviser I was booked to see, she was too busy but by another one. He sat scanning my job search book and I'm frantically telling him 'I have an Interview !!!' I told him that I applied for the job because I felt it might be a job I could physically manage, but I would just have to cope somehow with the fact that it is in Richmond , at least 90 minutes each way on two buses from where I live , and I cannot access the underground, which would still involve a bus and two changes of train.However, as I explained , I had applied for it because I felt I may be able to manage it and as for the journey as I told the adviser I knew the Department of work and pensions didn't care how far I traveled as long as I got a job....

Much to my amazement , the adviser checked out the travel route on his computer and told me that I was to scrap the application because nobody would expect me to do the journey to get to the job, and if I was asked about the application then I was to say so. I pointed out to him that kind and reasonable as he was being, the powers that be at the department of Work and Pensions would take a different view of whether or not it was reasonable for me to take the job ....

He then asked me about the Work programme and if I had heard anything from them since he last signed me a month ago. When I replied no, but I would have to phone them since I never hear from them he replied that they are being paid to get me a job, but that nobody really thinks they are working. Job centre advisers are also very put out that if a person on the work programme does get a job, they might well have got it by themselves and the programme played no part in it to help, but they get paid..It might actually be that a Job centre plus adviser helps a claimant to get a job, but the work programme gets paid. Regarding self employment, now that I am on the work programme, whether I hear from them or not, I am not entitled to help from the Job centre for self employment such as the Enterprise allowance and any help that is available now has to come from the Work programme

I then mentioned to him that on one of the very few occasions when I did hear from the Work Programme... in February , the adviser said that she felt there was a better programme for me... Work Choice. The Work Programme adviser wanted me to ask the Jobcentre about Work choice

You do indeed have to ask..most people dealing with the Jobcentre and threats of sanctions to benefits if you don't find a job know about and quite possibly dread the Work Programme, but Work choice is voluntary and kept very quiet. From my experience Work Choice isn't exactly offered to you in the same way as you will be forced on to the Work programme, you have to ask a Job centre adviser i.e volunteer yourself.Until recently when the system was changed so that Work Programme members had to sign on and meet with Job centre plus advisers in the same way as they used to before going on the work programme, they didn't see a job centre adviser.
I now have to phone the disability employment adviser, the very person I asked to see at my last signing when I was told to wait until the next lot of changes when I could be ordered to go to the Jobcentre once, even twice a week, and then ask for a Disability Adviser, now I have to ask one about Work choice....

As for the interview....I acknowledged by email the invitation to a first stage telephone interview, which probably would have decided if i was invited or not to a face to face interview...and I haven't heard another word.....

Valerie

No comments:

Post a Comment