Friday 27 December 2013

The importance of Thank you


One of the most significant memories I have of Christmas when I was a child , is about learning at an early age, from my Father, the importance of saying 'Thank you. '

Of course as it does for children the world over, Christmas morning started early , as soon as I was aware of a heavy weight on the end of my bed, and would rub the sleep from my eyes to see more parcels on the floor by my bed, and one year....a dolls cot complete with canopy and a quilt.

My mother, as soon as she could on Christmas morning became a martyr to the cooking of Christmas dinner, but my father would sit on my bed, bringing with him a notepad and pen. On the notepad he would help me to make a list of all my presents and who had sent them ...ready to write my thank you letters.

The first early attempts were rather short and simple...something along the lines of

Dear Auntie Betty and Uncle Ernie,

Thank you very much for my Christmas present. I liked it very much and I hope you had a good Christmas and I will see you soon

Lots of love from

Valerie
xx

Eventually they grew a little...

Sadly , I know of children who for many years, and some of them are now grown up, had so many presents that they had little recollection of who they were from, and Christmas was such a whirl that they certainly never got around to writing thank you letters. For many families this absence of the art of letter writing may well have grown with the advent of mobile phones and texting, and of course the internet and email. However, there is nothing quite like a hand written note, especially now that for so many of us just about the only things that arrive in envelopes are bills and final demands.

It had been my original intention to put this on my own personal blog as an article about the importance of writing thank you letters, with the memories of my father . My personal blog has been sadly neglected due to the need to concentrate on making money. However, as I researched the post I realised that it is also very appropriate for a business blog as Thank You letters have become very important in the world of recruitment. It is recommended that one writes a Thank You letter after an interview. You may not get the job, but gestures like the Thank You letter are remembered and make a good impression, possibly for future vacancies ..or it may even get you the job.

Here are some links to suggested formats for Interview Thank You letters.....














Susan Ireland's site also has links to many other helpful resources such as ....




And very useful indeed if you have like many, been out of the workforce for some time perhaps on disability benefits but have been forced by welfare reform to look for and apply for jobs.....


No comments:

Post a Comment