Tuesday 5 January 2016

Smart Goals - Broken already ?, New Year resolutions forgotten five days in?



Many people don't create New Year resolutions at all, and I admit I can understand why.
 Why wait for New Year when you can wake on any day and choose to take up a positive action or surrender a negative one? The New year is indeed a time of hopeful optimism and we can and often do make all kinds of plans and have all kinds of visions for it. However, once back to the reality of work or looking for a job and the Christmas decorations are just a memory back in the box in the cupboard, the new year takes on very much the pattern of the old one.

Birthdays also, are often a time for plans and particularly those landmark birthdays. I used to plan to be a wife and mother with my family complete by the time I was twenty-eight, having seen my mother struggle as an older mother.  However, it did not happen.

 Resolutions to be accomplished have to be realistic and often they're not. A good way to make resolutions that have more chance of success is to think of them like SMART goals …. A S.M.A.R.T. goal is defined as one that is specific, measurable, achievable, results-focused, and time- bound.







Several years running a friend of mine has made the classic New Year resolution that she is going to give up smoking. However, life has not been easy for her and whenever she is stressed, she lights a cigarette

Resolutions have to be realistic once they are created, to have any probability of success. Like starting a diet. If it took years to put the weight on, it won't all come off in a week.



Since I do not smoke, well, I did once when I was seven and lit up one of my father's cigarettes that he had left on the sitting room table, a horrifying cough and a beating from my mum, left such a memory that I never smoked again, so I don't need to make resolutions to give it up.
In any case, in all probability as I do not smoke, I believe that giving it up if I did would be simple, and not the challenge associated with New Year resolutions. However, is a resolution still a resolution if it's simple and takes very little or no effort?... interesting and debatable point?



We can create new beginnings at any time, any day so do not think you have missed the boat !! trying to get a job, or finding ways to make an income from home, starting a business and using our talents and skills to do things we have always planned to do one day such as writing a book .... It’s never too late so start today.




No comments:

Post a Comment