Thursday 9 March 2017

Making that dream come true






 


I am thinking back to when I was a child and remembering some of the things I wanted for my birthday or Christmas …. One year for Christmas I wanted a fur muff and matching hat to go with my coat and boots …I got those, I also got  at different times , the cot I wanted for my baby doll and the tea set, a bone china one with a miniature dresser to put it on. I also wanted another cot for one of my favourite dolls, I had many but this one was a small plastic baby doll with a dummy that went in her mouth and a bottle of ‘milk’ that also went in and the milk disappeared if the bottle was at a certain angle and came back into view when it had emptied into the top. My uncle made a small wooden cot, just the right size for this doll, but for many years I wanted a train set and I never did get that.

Strangely maybe for a girl I also wanted Matchbox and Corgi model cars ...lots of them, being convinced with amazing forethought that one day they would be valuable. I had a garage and a plastic road and a carry case for them, and my mother did let me have shelves put up in my room for them which was unusual as decorating cost my parents a lot of money as my father was unable to do it himself and my mother had to hire decorators, so I was not allowed such things as pop posters on the walls in my bedroom.  A lot of my collection was bought with my pocket money, but it all got left behind when my parents split up and I had to leave home. I had a beautiful dolls house with lights that worked from a battery and a huge box of Lego …. but I never did get a train set.
However, I am a big believer in never giving up on dreams. You want to get that great job, maybe start your own business, buy a car, travel ….? You are going to have to work and plan to make those dreams happen … Writing a letter to Santa won’t bring what you want anymore!!!


-What would you do if you could get any job you like or start a business?
- What is an idea that has been in the back of your mind maybe for years, that dream or plan about something you are going to do one day when you get around to it?
- What is the challenge that you have always wanted to achieve?
- What scares you? beat that long held fear …
Lack of goals and a refusal to take any risks leads to lack of achievement. You carry on in the same old routine every day for years and never go for your dreams.

Valerie Hartland

No comments:

Post a Comment