Thursday 31 January 2013

Getting started


Many of my more experienced readers will be aware that I learnt a  useful lesson , but learnt the heard way. While trying to be accepted for writing opportunities. I think I assumed that because I knew I could do it, this meant I could apply for freelance writing jobs..and would have a reasonable chance of getting work. I didn't expect to be successful with every job I applied for, any more than I just assume I will get any other type of job but for some reason, it never entered my head to view applying for freelance opportunities in the same way and with the same attitude as any other job application. ..gain experience and build a CV / portfolio which shows evidence of it.

Like most desperate job hunters I have applied for many jobs that I had little actual experience of, but knew I could do....but, as I have been known to state previously, I go to church but that doesn't make me a Vicar !!..I know a fair bit about politics but I am not experienced to be an MP. In fact, even after over more than ten years out of the field, the only work I reliably get headhunted for is the work I now physically cannot do..Nursery  Nursing, so, obviously my record of experience there is still impressive...showing the value of experience.

For many, voluntary work is very useful, but my financial situation is such that I cannot give time to work for nothing, when I so urgently need to find earning opportunities.  The situation with writing is that like so many other jobs, I can do it, but have no experience of paid writing , and made the mistake of jumping in too quickly and applying for paid jobs, which had exactly the same result as applying for any other paid job that I could perhaps do, but had no experience of..I wasn't successful.

One way to gain exposure as a writer is again similar to the opportunities available to help get any other job. In the world of writing and journalism you will find many jobs asking you to work for free, similar to  an internship and often advertised as such, although this may not seem  so appropriate to the older applicant. However, if you can be successful in getting such work, you often benefit from exposure and publicity for your work..and a reference from the company..

Another way to gain experience and have a chance of albeit gradually building up paid work is to register and set up a portfolio on the many bidding sites such as Freelancer, Peopleperhour, Odesk and others.


photo credit: DancingOnThePedals.net via photopin cc

No comments:

Post a Comment