Sunday 5 August 2012

The benefits of benefits


The benefits of benefits

I am not I firmly state , a person who would claim that we have a lifestyle choice , entitled to claim benefits as a career. However, I recently read an article and saw in several other media sources, the suggestion that there might be a human right for the jobless to claim benefits. I repeat, I am not saying that we have a human right to make a lifestyle choice not to work, but I do believe that any government in the 21st century has a legal obligation to guarantee the jobless a decent standard of living..especially if they are sick...

I do not believe that it is the right of any government to set up a body which overrules the opinion of a persons GP, and declares them fit to work, often resulting in as we increasingly hear, deaths due to the worry and stress and fear this brings..and even deaths by suicide from people just unable to cope with the loss of their their only income..benefits...

I myself am 52, partially sighted with joint and bone conditions, including arthritis and a severe bone vitamin D deficiency. I suffer from the effects of fractures, hypertension and a heart condition and anxiety and depression. However, I have always been considered by the DWP as at best borderline , even fit for work. I did claim Incapacity benefit for several years and at one point was declared exempt from medicals but have now been forced on to job seekers allowance and my income is less than £400 per month....

True, there was a time when we put the unemployed and those who had fallen on hard times in the workhouse or the debtors prison, illustrated in so many Dickens novels..Dickens own father had been in the Marshalsea prison, and this and the experience of poverty reflected in his novels, but just as we don't really still expect to see buses pulled by horses , or watch TV in black and white, we have moved on since the days of the Marshalsea...

I have long come to the conclusion that if a G P with knowledge of your medical conditions and the effect they have on your daily life, including fluctuations in your condition declares as mine has that you are not fit for work, or/and after realistic consideration of your actual employment chances if perhaps you are on JSA, you are still unemployed, but prepared to look for work, then benefits should actually be paid at a higher rate than they are...

The evidence that has brought me to this conclusion is that the theory put forward by the government that cutting benefits and forcing people to live in poverty encourages them to to get a job does not work and can be counter productive that it can even hinder the chances of that happening.

The obvious knock on effect of living on the breadline, and for many living well below it. is debt problems with unpaid bills , this leads to court cases , requiring legal help, advice and representation. This demand on the country's legal aid budget has resulted in savage cuts leaving very vulnerable people without help and advice for serious matters such as benefit appeals, debt ..often involving bailiffs and the threat of prison and repossession of property resulting in homelessness.

One of the biggest effects of being forced to exist on an income well below your even basic needs is being unable to finance your rent or mortgage...when I did a course around supported housing and vulnerable tenancies I learned to understand that there are many definitions of 'hidden homelessness' including being unable to actually afford the home you live in,Again, this results in huge demands on what increasingly limited legal help is available, while people in this position try to cope with the mounting debts. What no government including Labour ,who in fact were the government who introduced ATOS assessments for those on incapacity benefit has recognised ( or admitted) is that to force people to live in poverty actually holds up their chances of obtaining work rather than helping it....

People of no fixed abode, perhaps sleeping on friends sofas... or on the streets...do not appeal to employers and I know from experience that you can be so busy trying to sort out your debt , financial and housing issues or jumping desperately at every get rich quick scheme that you miss the deadline for many job opportunities.

Another huge effect of poverty is the effect on our personal relationships and ultimately our mental health. I am considered to own my own home ( just, in spite of several trips to court with the building society seeking repossession), and ironically it is cheaper for me to try to stay here rather than to leave, even though I do not have enough income to officially be able to afford the property and the costs associated with it..like many, I pay the vital bills and ignore the others, i.e. pay who shouts the loudest....

My credit rating is so badly damaged that I am unable to rent and so I live in a property which has deteriorated to such an extent that if I was renting and went to court no landlord would get away with it..indeed the association which owns the leases of my home are bringing the properties of renting tenants up to a certain required legal standard, with tenants having new front doors, kitchens and bathrooms. Leaseholders can of course have these improvements if they are able to pay..while I live in appalling unhygienic conditions including damp ...my kitchen being an unhygienic health hazard due to a previous flood ..the buildings insurance invalidated by my arrears on the service charges. I have always suspected that the serious ankle fracture I suffered resulting in a permanent metal plate and pins was due to my slipping on a patch of worn stair carpet..shredded by my cats who I had before my difficulties began and that I cannot get any animal charity to accept ...they say that they will only take animals if they are abandoned or in danger of being so and that I sound like a nice lady who won't abandon them..meanwhile they are covered in fleas and so are my carpets...one cat has a skin complaint and the other a cough but I cannot even take them top the Blue Cross as it is a myth that they treat pets for free....what happens at my local branch is they give you the full price bill and when you try to pay what you can afford, the minimum you can try to get away with, they look at you and hint 'can't you pay more....?

Light fittings are broken, which is not ideal as I am partially sighted, yes I could use the handyman services for as small a fee as £10 per hour but I do not have a spare £10 or the money for the light fittings to be fitted....benefits do not pay for home repairs and I do not have enough income to be able to afford to pay back a crisis loan even if I got one.

Although it is the elderly that the media focuses on I can assure readers that you do not have to be a pensioner in the winter to make a choice between eating or heating..I have gone to bed at 7pm , convincing myself that I fancy an early night ,,it isn't so easy though to convince yourself that it is normal to sit indoors in a scarf and gloves...

Not surprisingly, the condition of the place has resulted in my not letting people in, neither neighbours or friends. Many of my neighbours identify me as 'That mad woman with the cats'..several friends have been lost while I understandably try to keep them away from the true state of my living conditions..and to save them from getting bitten by fleas....

Since I try not to make a habit of telling people how I live they get the impression that I am anti-social and do not want them. Some friends have given what assistance they have been able to offer , like help with heating bills last winter when put on to job seekers allowance and considered to be fit and well I did not qualify for a cold weather payment when the temperature fell below freezing, as I used to on Incapacity benefit. Although actually it was when
the temperature was three degrees that it was worse to endure...freezing yes, but not freezing enough for help with heating costs....However, everyone is required to give back something eventually...you just cannot expect to live happily amongst others if all you do is take what is offered...but what if it is just impossible for you to meet a friends need even if they have met yours ? Every relationship will at some time require you to make a small gesture, perhaps a bed for a while, as happened to a now ex friend of mine who having helped me , quite rightly expected something in return when she was beaten by her partner and I had to refuse because at the time I was fighting repossession proceedings which had started while I was waiting for Job seekers allowance. Naturally I felt that it was not the time to put even more of my problems on to her and so I didn't put her in the picture...it was the beginning of the end of a friendship with a history of forty years....Even if I had not been in the process of being repossessed, there are now just too many problems associated with anyone even staying here, let alone as she suggested once she knew the situation...moving in with me....I know what I have to put up with but I cannot inflict living in a property where you try not to answer the phone on to anyone else and bailiffs come at 6.30 in the morning chasing council tax from periods of benefit appeals going back ten years....after the council tax recovery office had assured you that the matter was sorted as your benefit is reduced further to pay it back...when I know that bailiffs are after me I cannot risk leaving a window open....many a friendship does and will end in such circumstances....

In fact I have had two friends who were in a position to and prepared to offer me many opportunities and open doors..one a published author, gave me the opportunity to be her publicist ..sales had of course slumped somewhat since publication but this is normal because to any publisher they are only interested in promoting your book while it is their new book...and the next week they have more new books. Obviously, payment was to be on results but although I was full of ideas and potential from internet marketing to book talks and signings I couldn't really do what was necessary...give time to actually arranging what I said I could do....I needed money urgently and the only way I get money is to fulfil my Job seekers requirement to look for a job. This proves my point...that keeping people on an income which does not even cover their legal requirements means that they can even end up having to pass on
employment opportunities, because limited as it is, it is all they have coming in so they look for a job while eyeing the quickest get rich quick scheme. These two ex friends like many others had spotted my latent intelligence but ended up stating that they would be prepared to help me only if an official request was made to give a statement concerning my mental health !!! since I am considered fit to work , the need for this and any benefit it might be to me is highly unlikely. Friendship can only take so much and often cannot be expected to survive the issues that arise in the life of a long term benefits claimant.

I have tried hard to turn my website ( see links), my experiences of job hunting when you are older and not in good health and my ability to write into a self employed opportunity, but have now been advised by the Job centre that they cannot guarantee help with the mortgage if I register for the governments enterprise schemes for new businesses....therefore according to the Job centre I am to in effect do as I am told and look for a job, and while claiming JSA I have to follow the rules. My benefits are not enough to live on but I do not have enough coming in to have anything at all in reserves to be able to afford to give up the Job seekers allowance.....

Poverty, debt and legal issues, plus the sheer loneliness and isolation of the socio-economic factor in being on benefits can indeed drive a person to the brink of recognised mental health issues , but as long as people are increasingly forced on to JSA from health related benefits, entitled to no support and then have to struggle with the pittance at which it is paid, these problems will increase and people will stay on benefit for longer than ever because they have no choice but to pretend to be fit and well, to go along with the job seekers allowance requirements to look for work, while trying to deal with debt and other resulting legal issues... and whether or not they can then sustain that work if they get it is another matter, because benefits do not allow for a social life and believe me you can truly end up with mental health issues even if you didn’t start off with them. This is only one of my cases in point for paying benefits at a higher level rather than cutting them...because to do so will in the long term save money as people will be healthier and more likely to get back to work sooner..rather than going mad with debt problems and social isolation... I for one know that my own social interactions and responses are not at all as reliable as they were and I am only one of thousands left by successive governments who largely for the want of a benefit level which would at least allow something of a normal life have been left deteriorating to the point where ability to get a job and sustain it gets more and more unlikely...poor diet and shabby clothes, the need of a good haircut all have an effect on morale and certainly what jobs you can realistically apply for and get....I certainly do not look the part for a receptionists job …..you don't see many of those in elastic wasted trousers from peacocks which is now all I can afford and fits !! I heard that the food allowance per day on benefits is calculated at the point that you can get a ready meal for £1 per day and put it in the microwave....so you can but would David Cameron eat it ?? I know as does everyone on benefits, especially those like myself who living alone have only one benefit income coming in what It is to choose between milk and toilet rolls..nobody in the 21st century should have to make that choice....

When forced to do so, as I know by experience blood pressure and other health problems worsen due to the stress and that of other resulting problems of inadequate income and unpaid bills ..and lets not forget what people in my position cost the NHS in medical costs for blood pressure pills...

A panel set up b y the Prime Minister with hopes of scrapping Labours Human Rights act said it wished to consider suggestions from pro-human rights groups and believe it or not the public ..needless to say the Prime Minister is said to not be happy... A point included was the right to administrative justice, which must sit at odds with the coalitions cuts to access to legal Aid denying many people help with debt, benefit and other vital legal issues. Other points considered were socio-economic rights which included suitable housing and a right to a minimum standard of living. These points are to be found in the bills of rights of many other countries while denied it seems to the UK..I would imagine that an entitlement to a minimum standard of living was somewhat in the minds of the government which stopped putting people in the workhouse and it now appears that the UK has in its human rights taken many backward steps....

Valerie Hedges








photo credit: G Travels via photo pin cc

No comments:

Post a Comment